Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Oh Boy

"The labs are cool when you counsul patients because that's what a pharmacist really does" - 3rd Year Pharmacy Student

That's what I was informed by my student guide yesterday. Now to be fair, they admitted they initially decided on pharmacy school for the money and only 'recently' decided it was because they wanted to help people.

Day one and I realize that there are many people who are unaware of what they are getting into.

Already I am labeled the troublemaker in the class. Everyone else is asking our speakers short, cute questions while I whip out a multi-layered question that initially stammers the speaker. Call it a surprise bitch slap if you will.

And several upper level people loved it or so I'm told.

Another item I am hearing repeatedly, especially when I mention where my preference is, is that 'retail is all about the money aspect of pharmacy.' I guess I'm going to have to re-educate those students as well to help dispell that myth as well.

I would say the first day has been successful. I am determined to not let my entire fall into the same traps as everyone else.

Perhaps I'm too much of a damned optimist...

2 comments:

Pharmgirl said...

The retail chains are all about the money aspect of pharmacy. Hospitals... well, it depends on what type of hospital you work for. I've never worked for a for-profit hospital so I can't say what that's like, but the non-profits are much better (but still try to squeeze pharmacy for all they can get).

Anonymous said...

As a full-time faculty clinical pharmacist, I LOVE when new students actually understand what pharmacy is and ask good questions. Seems most of our new students are just so innocent and naive about the profession. Stick to your guns!