Sunday, August 29, 2010

Accidentally Drunk

A few weeks ago I sat trying to explain the term 'Accidently Drunk' to two former co-workers who seemed unable to grasp my definition. My hope is that by posting my explanation here, that I am not the only one this happens to.

Or else I have some sort of problem, but I digress.

Now I don't drink that often, hell I'm lucky to see the inside of a bar once a month. I'm generally too busy to go out and get hammered every week like many of my peers do.

Here is where the term 'Accidentally Drunk' comes into play.

Occasionally I would go out to eat with friends to do apps and beer at a place like Applebee's. Mainly it was to blow off steam from the previous week and the initial plan was to head home and finish some homework afterwards.

Instead I found myself leaving a bar at 1am after a three hour session of beer pong. And I was completely sh-wasted.

What had started out as just a small gathering for dinner ended up turning into a night of drinking for six hours. Was it fun? You bet your ass it was fun. I rarely get to do things like that anymore. Was it planned? No way in hell.

I was 'accidentally drunk'. To be honest the night flowed so naturally that none of us realized we had been drinking as long as we had, nor had we noticed how drunk we were, until someone noticed it was after midnight.

Luckily at this point I was within walking distance of home.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. A few months back my wife and I were going to watch a movie and decided to have some Captain and Coke to end a long day. I woke up the next morning to a splitting headache to find that we (myself mostly) had ended up drinking the entire bottle of Captain.

Was it planned? Nope, but again it was damn good fun.

Maybe I'm the only person this happens to because I almost never go out anymore. But I tell ya what, usually the most fun nights I have is when this happens.

Funny how that works...

6 comments:

stdev said...

I almost had the same thing happen to me at a party I went to last year. I only wanted to hang with my buddy at his bday party for about 2 hours. I ended up sipping on a good amount of hunch punch, along with some beer pong failures. I was tipsy but I was able to drive myself and friends back to house safely.

I've also been accidentally high. In fact, I am it right now. I'm chilling at the library and feeling really good with no clue on how to finish this physical chemistry bullcrap. I only meant to take a couple of hits from my roommate's bowl and still be 100%. But then I kept taking more and more because it seemed to make sense. May as well enjoy all this now before I start pharmacy school next fall.

Your blog rocks.

Anonymous said...

I see your point and completely understand the concept of "accidentally drunk," but I am not sure that is what I would call it if it were me. Then again, I am a "new 40" and have NEVER been drunk (accidentally or on purpose--LOL). What do the two former co-workers call it?

You mentioned something about doing some pharmacy work? How does that work at Wally World? Are you enjoying it?

And totally off subject, how is your wife doing/feeling? When do you expect to be called Dad?

Sorry for all the questions. I am a LONG time lurker and enjoy your blog (I like medical and pharmacy blogs). I worked as a pharmacy tech at a large chain for 7+ years during college/graduate school and as a second job while I was teaching. I can relate to many of the stories you write about and man do I have some of my own. I am laughing as I type this.

Take care and best wishes.

TiredRPh said...

I have spent waaaay to much time with my iPad. When you said 'apps and beer', all I could think was, why is he downloading aps at Applebees?

Phathead said...

Anon @ 5:47pm

Lets just say I had to pull several strings with both regional offices in order to get permission to keep employment at both places. It's interesting thus far.

The wife has been just fine. No morning sickness, no weird cravings. It's been oddly calm... Which scares the hell out of me.

Anonymous said...

So the pharmacy is NOT run by the same people as the store?

Brother Frankie said...

ditto on the apps thingy... oh life is changing..