Saturday, August 14, 2010

I Miss the Bitchy Pharmacy Customers

Yep, you're reading that title correctly. No, I have not lost my mind.

The customer base between that of Walmart and a pharmacy isn't all that different. What is different, however, is how you are able to deal with such customers. In a pharmacy you have your co-workers to break the tension, to laugh about a situation if you will. When the customer leaves, you can step away and focus on something else.

You can't do that as a cashier. You're stuck on your own little island, fuming to a certain extent, that not only have these people survived in life so long, but the fact that they will procreate more than I will.

The idiots will truly rule the world at some point.

Here is but a small sample of some of the bullshit I see on a daily basis:
Had a customer bring three carts overflowing with items to my line. After I scanned about 90% of it, and the total had reached nearly $700, they informed me that they only had brought $100 with and would have to return some of it.

Who in their right freakin' mind would think that you could attempt to buy that much stuff with $100? Hell they had a $125 vacuum in their cart too.. is math really that freakin' hard?
Woman comes to the line and proceeds to bitch for five minutes about how difficult it is to view the screen on the credit card machine. After lecturing me about how we're singling people ou and such, I kindly asked her if she could remove her sunglasses to help her see the screen.

She adamantly refused and stated she shouldn't have to. Whatever.
"I think this should be three dollars"

"Well you can think that, but I can't change the price of it just because you say I should."

"And why the hell not? It is because I'm black?"
After fixing a problem where an over sensitive scanner duplicated an item on a 100+ item order:

Woman: "Can't they get anything right here?"

Man: "That's what happens when you hire people who didn't finish high school and live in trailer parks."

I love my job, I love my job, I love my job.... wait....

My job pays my bills, My job pays my bills...

8 comments:

OMDG said...

(Jaw drops onto floor.) Wow. People actually say things like that?

Phathead said...

Yep, they sure do.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Holy shit.

Anonymous said...

Freakin' unbelievable!
You should write a book on your experiences.

~Mel

Anonymous said...

I've been with Wally for 10 years, the last of which has been on LOA for back surgery. My last position before leave was as a pharmacy tech. Just think how much fun the bitchy Walmart pharmacy customers are. We had a customer try to pull the race card on a pharmacist of the same race. Really? She's prejudiced against her own race? Actually she was just a bitch, but the race card? And one guy was going to sue us because he had been out of his phenobarbital for 2 days, he walked at 2 minutes before we closed the pick up window, was pissed because the pharmacist wouldn't give him enough for three days. When we looked it up, he had it ready at another store which he swore he had never been to before and he didn't even know where it was. Well, for someone that doesn't know where that store is, you sure do fill enough scripts there. The other techs said that he pulled the same stunt about every two months. When we called the other store, they said they knew him well and he did the same shit there. And he always got 10 days worth even though it was written for 30 days. And half the time he would go 13 or 14 days between pick ups so he was apparently not compliant with his seizure meds. But it was all our fault if he had a seizure that night even though we didn't have a valid script for him at our store and the script couldn't be transferred again.

Erin said...

I think the man meant "That's what happens when you go to a store that appeals to trailer trash like us because we couldn't finish 2nd grade."

Anonymous said...

I hope you just smile and nod while secretly shooting daggers into their eyeballs. The man himself probably didn't finish the 3rd grade himself. To bad you didn't have all your school records with you..ah people like that wouldn't apologize anyways

Anonymous said...

Welcome to retail.
And yes the lower the income/education level the more children they have.