Saturday, June 12, 2010

I Now Work for Big Evil

There are times in one's life when you must swallow your pride and chose to do something you don't really wish to do, but you are left with no other option.

You see, as of yesterday I am an employee for Big Evil (codeword for Walmart) which in itself isn't a bad thing. While I dislike how they run their pharmacies... actually I don't think they know how the hell to run a pharmacy, but I digress... I do have to admire how they run their retail business. I have studied them in depth in various classes and have come to admire what they accomplish.

If anything, you have to pat them on the back for their propensity to hire individuals with various disabilities. You simply don't see that anywhere else and I rather enjoy that fact.

No, this isn't a rant about actually working for Walmart, but more what I'm doing. You see, I'll be your simple cashier at the register when you go to leave. No pharmacy job, no fancy job doing layouts or things of that nature. For eight bucks an hour, I'll be the smiling face that crushes your bread under several cans of soup (kidding of course).

I know a job is a job, but in some ways it feels like I've had to take a brief step backwards. In time I'm weasel my way back into a pharmacy and for various reasons I need a job ASAP when we move in about three weeks.

Do I feel I'm overqualified? Sure, but in the end what's it matter. One of the pharmacists I have worked with the last six years has tried to teach me to view all of life's difficulties as a character building process. To learn form them and grow. Granted this is a minor setback, but I might as well learn from it.

So the next time one of you goes to your local Walmart in the coming month, and some young man is checking you out who may seem just a tad out of place... well that might be me. And I'll be there with a smile.

5 comments:

JH said...

I also work for Big Evil, but in their Sam's Club division. I am doing a summer internship at a different pharmacy, and I am very quickly seeing how Walmart fails in certain aspects of pharmacy running. One thing that I really do miss is their computer system, since the one at the new job is PDX. The main thing that I wanted to share is that Walmart is pretty receptive to catering to putting you in other positions after you start. I was actually lucky enough to get into the pharmacy at Sam's because I mentioned that I was interested in attending pharmacy school at the time during my yearly evaluation. So if you're at all interested in moving into the pharmacy, I'd say just rock the cashier job (boost up that IPH lol...mine was like 300-something) and change your account in the computer system so it says you're interested in transferring to the pharmacy. When a position comes up, they'll interview you before people who are outside the company. Good luck!

Frantic Pharmacist said...

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Should make for some really interesting blog-worthy material !!

Grumpy, M.D. said...

So are you gonna quit in a few months to go to pharm school?

Anonymous said...

There is a reason why all the cashiers look like hell in walmart. ; ) good luck, you'll need it.

BigEvilRx

redgirl said...

I've worked for Mervyns, and now the hotel industry while I'm getting through school. My little sister works for WalMart...and the stories she writes in her letters rival MY crazy-person-stories! In order to support myself when moving home, I might have to join BigEvil too, but I view it as you do. Means to a very sastifactory end :)