Friday, March 12, 2010

Another Day... Another Waitlist

You know the most annoying part of this whole process? As you meander though each stage, there are people who will tell you,

"You're a great candidate for pharmacy school, they're surely accept you!"

or,

"It's rare to see someone so well rounded about the profession at your age. I'll be seeing you in the fall."

The latter is even worse when that is the closing remarks of one of the interviewers.

Alas I am on a waitlist... again. At least this time I know where I sit in line. Of course, as always, it was a royal kick in the balls, which have had their fair share of trauma over the years, but at least it's not a no.

That's what I keep telling myself at the moment.

It's just frustrating to have all of this feedback from people, interviewers included, and still nada. It's like dangling chocolate cake in front of a fat kid, but never quite giving it to him.

Chocolate Cake = Pharmacy School

Fat Kid = Me

Alas the waiting game continues for yet another month. Hooray.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I appreciate your sinceerity, if you say what you indicated you said from your previous post on your interviews, I can see why you're being waitlisted.

I've been on many, many interview committees & have written countless recommendations and your comments will send you to the "NOT" recommended stack immediately.

You need help with your interviewing skills, particularly with regard to why you are wanting to enter the field! Some things you say with candor, others not. I'm at fault for not giving you my reasons for entering the field, but there are many reasons which will give you a "save" when it comes to interview or personal essay time.

My suggestion - find yourself a really good mentor who a progessive pharmacist (I've been one for 30+ years & yes - I could have predicted all the changes & more because that is how my school - UCSF - trained me) and work with him/her on really pounding out what you can write, say & do which will come across with all the humility and earnestness which faces us daily.

Best of luck!

Pharmgirl said...

Don't despair. I am living, breathing, licensed-to-practice-pharmacy proof that people get in off the waitlist!

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Sorry, Phat. Hang in there. You have a big cheering section out here.

pharmapplicants said...

I had to wait for a year, then was waitlisted my 2nd time applying, before finally being accepted in May.

It sucks, but it's better than a rejection.

I used to hate seeing a constant barrage white envelopes.

Burger Doodle Chicks said...

sorry to hear that, but perservere, and worship the Pharmacy Gods intently (aka, have a couple, I know how the waitlist stings) and hopefully you will be rewarded soon! Thanks for all the great posts, we appreciate them regularly!