Friday, May 7, 2010

Who's Better Than Whom?

I have a piece of advice for those of you entertaining, or entering, pharmacy school. It goes against everything that our culture brings us up to believe, so it may be a bit of a shock. You ready?

You're not that special.

Harsh sounding I know, but its the truth. Just because you are taking difficult pre-pharmacy courses and just because you are in pharmacy school does not make you better than any one else. You are not more special than the person sitting next to you simply because of what you're studying.

We're all equals when it comes down to it. I don't want to hear about how you 'Aced' your genetics class or how you are going to a Top 10 pharmacy school. I don't want to have a question answered by some word heavy response when a simple one shall do.

To get to this point, you are obviously intelligent in some way or another. But that is not the end all in life and does not put you up higher than anyone else.

You are not better than the janitor at your work or the cashier at Walmart. Perhaps you have taken advantage of your opportunities better and you have had a few lucky breaks, but again you are not better than any one else.

If there is one thing I am growing to despise in people as of late, it is the incessant need to classify themselves above other people. We are all taught that each one of us is special in our own way, etc etc etc.

Instead this feeds into the psyche that we are not just special, but better than every one else. And that sure as hell isn't right.

So to you pre-pharmers and future pharmacists, please heed my advice. Humility can be a valuable tool both in your profession career and in life. I would advise you do your best to use it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This goes back to what my friends in pharmacy school used to say. "What do you call the person with the lowest passing grade on the nabplex? A pharmacist. ". Just wait until they get out of school and there aren't enough clinical jobs and they have to work retail where noone gives a flying fig what class you aced.

The Blond Intern said...

First off, let me tell you that I recently discovered your blog, and I love it.

But in response to your post, I TOTALLY agree with you. My (former) roommate could be classified as one of those people you're talking about. She consistently would qualify things with "because I'm a pharmacy student," ie when the people from the athletic club behind our apartment played tennis too loud. She called there and told them they needed to quiet down because "I'm a pharmacy student" and told them how we have finals. What, like the undergrads that live in our apartment complex didn't have finals? She did stuff like that a lot, and it really bothered me because I don't see myself as any better than another student, or anyone else for that matter. Ugh.

redgirl said...

Good post, great reminder to THINK about our habitual assumptions

Anonymous said...

Bumper sticker that is popular in my town ~ You're unique just like everyone else.
So is the I love my co-op but I don't think that is as pertinent.

Anonymous said...

Also, remember that even though you might have been the smart kid in high school and college, EVERYONE was, so deflate your big head a bit.

OMDG said...

Med school, on the other hand, is completely different.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! (Just kidding)