Saturday, February 13, 2010

Pharmacy School Interview Round-Up

Man that's a weird title for this post. My mother-in-law is obsessed with Bonanza, maybe its running off on me.

I thought I would go over the five schools I have interviewed at over the last few months. Those of you thinking to apply to just one school, I implore you to consider otherwise. Needless to say I was shocked at the overall variation in several aspects between the schools. It doesn't hurt to have a well rounded selection if you ask me.

As always, no school names will be mentioned for anonymity's sake. This is to give an idea of what a collection of schools can offer.

Pharmacy School Interview #1

This is probably still my top choice. The program best fits what I want to do over my career. One of the things you discover as you travel around is how pharmacy schools can have vastly different focuses. This one was focused on patient care which I can relay into my retail aspirations.

By far, the students here were the most friendly. Not only were they kind during the Q&A sessions and able to stick around to chat afterward, but when passing students in the hallway they were spontaneously offer support to all of us. It was a small token at the time that I came to realize is a strong reason why I like this school.

Pharmacy School Interview #2

This is easily the my least favorite choice out of the schools. It had a vastly different interview schedule, which I now believe to be far too short. One of my interviewers stated she hadn't looked over my application nor even knew my name prior to sitting in the room with me. I briefly covered the experience here.

The students were nice, but they appeared frazzled. At times it seemed as if they were forcefully saying nice things about the school and the program. It wasn't until we ventured over for pizza and drinks, yes drinks, that they finally seemed relaxed.

It also didn't help that this school has a strong focus on clinical and research pharmacy, two areas I do not wish at this moment to go into.

Pharmacy School Interview #3

Whoever scheduled this interview is an asshole. I had to be on campus by 7am, by FAR the earliest out of all of the interviews. It was also my first experience with an interview essay, which went okay despite the fact that my brain is not fully functioning this early in the morning.

Didn't really get to meet too many students during this interview, but the ones I met appeared content with the school and the program. Some gave the impression that they did not really wish to be here, but it was 7am and during winter break so I will let that slide. I was VERY impressed with the way the curriculum was laid out over the four years as it had the most logical progression out of all the schools. The faculty was very laid back and VERY willing to help you, a nice touch.

Plus the location of the school, and the city it was in, gave it major points for living conditions. That is another factor I did not really think to consider when this all started.

Pharmacy School Interview #4

This school had the most beautiful and well thought out campus. Actually, you could say their campus was rather innovative in many aspects. The students and faculty were all very cordial and did their best to make you feel at home. I left with really no negative feelings, but also really no overtly positive feelings.

Easily, this school presented the most thoughtful essay out of the three I had to write and I found the topic to be rather enjoyable. The way the graded you throughout the day was also very considerate as it relied not only as you as a student, but how you are as a person. I would have no qualms about going to school here.

Pharmacy School Interview #5

This one was... well strange. No tour of the school was given and when I asked some questions about the program the response was, "Well you can look that up online." This was, by far, the farthest I traveled for school, so I really did not appreciate that response.

The essay was rather self-promoting in nature, much like the essay from school #3, but simple. I really don't like a self-promoting essay as it is forces you to sensationalize yourself. Honestly, I do not think you should have to do this, but I suppose it is not my choice.

Perhaps the most unusual portion of the experience was the interview itself. The questions were unlike anything I had had previously and it really through me off my game. One of the questions that really bothered me was whether or not I had a moral or ethical problem with dispensing Plan B. It was one of the questions, since it is a such a hot topic with some people, that I was not comfortable answering because of the strong views some individuals have on it. I rather felt like it was an inappropriate question given the circumstances.

That being said the faculty was overly enthusiastic, but the students only acknowledged us during the defined meeting time. They appeared content with the program, but also appeared rather distant.

Thus, the waiting game has begun. I have five chances to find out my fate between now and May 1st. The experience as a whole has been illuminating and I hope I have shown some light upon the process the last several months.

To be honest I am not sure what program I would decide on, if I'm lucky enough to have the option to decide. It's a decision my wife and I shall have to come at together, but as long as I get in somewhere, that's all that matters.

And trust me, there will be one helluva celebration if an acceptance letter arrives. And y'all are invited!

No comments: