Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I Have An... AHEM... Size Problem

Around my first interview, for whatever reason, I finally got a bug up my ass and rediscovered the gym on campus. I had grown rather lazy over the past few years, I think some of that can be attributed to the stress I put on my self, and naturally it began to show.

Actually it was the fact that most of my t-shirts were becoming close to spandex like material on me and I didn't feel like buying new clothes.

Four months later I've dropped 30 pounds, am finally running sub-8 minute miles (I was a runner when I was younger) and my clothes are hanging off of me. My pants damn near fall off me on a constant basis, to which I apologize to the American public, as I am not used to always having to wear a belt now.

There has been an unforeseen side effect to this whole endeavor. It was something that everyone I mentioned to would not have considered either.

You see, my wedding ring no longer fits me. I originally bought it a bit larger than I wanted, with the logic being your fingers will increase in diameter over time, and I went for a stylish Tungsten ring. It's really pretty damn sweet looking. They warned me that I would not be able to resize it, but I couldn't imagine my finger changing so severely that I would need it resized.

Welllllllllllll looks like I was wrong. Who'da thunk I had that much weight to lose in my fingers. I mean seriously you can look through the thing:

Kinda hard to see in the small pic, but if you click it the larger view gives a better idea.

So now I am left with the proposition of buying a cheaper, way less cool, ring that actually fits. An oversight on my own part, I realize, but it still rather blows.

Thus, I just wanted every one to know that I am male, and I have a size problem. At least one of us can admit it.

3 comments:

John Adams said...

have you checked overstock.com? I know they ell tungsten carbide rings in a variety of styles. Perhaps you can find a similar one. apparently people change their wedding bands more often than you think.

I have one myself, and understand the drawbacks of it, but its still way awesome compared to traditional wedding bands.

Elizabeth said...

I have this problem with my wedding band during most months (except summer).

To keep from getting it sized twice a year I use a composite filler made for rings called Ring Guard Solution. It does wear down after a while, but you can put a bit more in. It will come completely off with little trouble. It works well if you think the weight might come back.

I did buy my husband a sterling silver band to wear in the lab, he's gotten some deep scratches in his gold & platinum band, and he works with lots of organic chemicals / solvents so I'd like the nice band to stay nice.

Anonymous said...

I echo Elizabeth's comments - there are several ways to make a wedding band fit a smaller finger. Ask around.