Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year... Minus the Happy

There shall be no year in review from this blogger. Why? Because I think they're gay, that's why.

What I have been pondering during the first work day of the new year is how paranoid I have become during this time of the year. It used to be that New Years signified a chance to start over and to better yourself. Now I wake up the next morning in cold sweats dreading heading into work even though I typically have New Years day off.

And who do I blame? Medicare Part D, that's who.

Even though it has been a couple years I still fear the clusterfuck that was Year 1 of Part D. We all walked into the store today with a bit of trepidation and reluctantly logged onto our terminals. This was before checking the faxes, before checking the phones, before even powering up the robot.

Of course the day has not been anywhere near as bad as that fateful first week in 2006. I have not witness a pharmacist punch his computer monitor today, which is still one of the most humorous things I have seen at this horrid place.

Sure I have about a dozen patients that I cannot fill anything for until they mosey on in with their new cards. Sure some Caremark plans aren't allowing refills until 85% utilization and some Medica plans aren't allowing refills until 100% utilization.

Note to Caremark and Medica VPs. Next time you pull a major switch like this, let us know next time. That way I can resist the urge to donkey punch you after being on hold for 20 minutes.

In all, it's not that bad. Yet still, in the back of our minds, there is this innate fear that it could all go down hill at any moment. It's almost as if we have a touch of PTSD regarding it. Funny how that works.

And perhaps the greatest joy is that we can no longer say Happy New Years because there is nothing happy about the new year anymore. CMS stole my joy, those bastards. Maybe I should donkey punch them instead.

4 comments:

Frantic Pharmacist said...

I feel nothing but dread too. The hardest part is how people think they can just show up minus any information and it's our job to solve it all for them. That part alone makes me crazy.

TiredRPh said...

Punching the computer terminal...now that's funny. The only thing I've ever done is slammed the phone down so hard that it fell off the wall. Thanks for the laugh after a VERY long 9 hour hell day in the trenches. Oh, and lets not forget that corpro decided January and February is the BEST time to cut my tech hours down by 20%. No exceptions.

EC said...

Yep, I died and went to the heavenly land of Jamaica. I think it was the first time in over a year that I didn't dream about the pharmacy at night. Dear Lord. I highly recommend a trip to Jamaica if you ever get the chance. It was amazingly refreshing. Then I went back to work today. I'm already planning my next vacation getaway thanks to the woes of Medicare D.

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

I once rammed my finger into the computer monitor, really hard, while screaming something like...."LOOK AT THIS!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!"

Repeatedly I rammed it. Hard enough that in an hour I couldn't move it.

Of course I had to hide this from everyone at the store, because acknowledging my finger injury would be admitting the computer monitor won.

I spent the next workweek keeping my finger very very still.