Tuesday, January 26, 2010

But you're so young!

I can't wait until I'm old. No, seriously. Maybe people will actually stop questioning me when I give suggestions or make a statement.

Let's clear the air here, in nice big bold letters.

I am 24 years old and I have almost 10 years of pharmacy experience.

There we go, much better. Maybe I should have this tattooed on my forehead.

You see everywhere I go, people question my ideas on various pharmacy related items. This can be at work, talking to other students, or inane message boards where everyone is an expert (I'm looking at you SDN).

Yes I'm young, but I probably have twice the experience of half of the students graduating pharmacy school this year.

I mean I have worked in retail, hospital, compounding, nursing service and dabbled in home infusion pharmacy. I have worked as a pharmacy consultant and received over 150 hours of additional specialized training.

I have become involved in numerous business decisions and have been preparing for pharmacy school nearly since I started working in one.

Yet people question me when they ask my advice because of my age.

Look, I know I'm young. I realize I do not know anything. But I know the industry of pharmacy better than half of the pharmacists who work in our company. I have discussed with several deans and countless pharmacist on where the profession is going and how it will change.

Yet people question me when they ask my advice because of my age.

Well ya know what, buzz off. Find me someone else who's my age who knows the shit I do. No longer will I let you talk down to me just because of my age. If you don't want my advice or my views, that's fine. Just don't ask and dismiss them in the same breath.

Whew, I feel better now.

6 comments:

DisasterCh1ck said...

Aw, Phat...don't worry. We ALL get over that problem way faster than we want to!

/was 23 when I graduated from pharmacy school, with 9 years pharmacy experience
//now I say to students "I'm not that old, BUT... typewriter, handwritten insurance claims (in triplicate), compounding, yadda yadda, yadda

Unknown said...

It gets better, at least among coworkers, once you get that license. I graduated a year and a half ago (age 26) after being in retail for 7 years and hospital for 4. Also have an EMT certificate.

It feels great when pharmacists with 15 or 20 years experience come ask for help with antibiotic recommendations or renal dosing.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Nobody took me seriously as a doctor until...

Wait, I guess they still don't.

OMDG said...

Yep, can totally relate.

Still, if you're younger, you're by definition hotter. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Lily said...

Yup. I doubted my washing machine repairman because he looked so young. Such a curse.

Anonymous said...

This problem occurs all over the world. I`m from Poland and I hear 'Are you sure? What does that older lady think?' once na day.