Monday, November 9, 2009

A Setback

Today I received via snail mail my admissions status from my second interview. I thought it was the better of two interviews, especially with some comments I recieved from the interviewers, so I had thought the entire experience went quite well.

I was wrong though. I have been told that I will have a second review once all other applications have been reviewed in April. No acceptance, no waitlist at this time. From what I have read this effectively corresponds to a Dear John letter.

Really, this shouldn't come as a surprise. One cannot expect to be accepted in all the schools that have been applied to.

I suppose the bigger thing is that I thought this had gone really well. Makes you doubt your first interview ya know?

Only thing to do is keep pluggin' away like I have been for the last couple years and keepin' the fingers crossed. I do think, however, it is time for a beer.

5 comments:

Nathan said...

Hey Phathead,
I know how much it hurts to be rejected, especially that first one, but it may be a blessing as it was for me. I was rejected to my first choice school twice (I did an extra year of undergrad because I was stupid and only applied to one school the first time). Along with the second denial though, came an acceptance from the University which I eventually attended and I had an absolutely amazing time in a place that was peaceful and beautiful. To this day I keep the denial letters on my wall to remind me that often there is some unexpected good in even the worst of circumstances.

The best of luck to you with the rest of your applications.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear it didn't go as expected the first go-around. It'll all come out. Good luck, and take care.

Anonymous said...

Some of my best friends were wait listed. Hell, I was wait listed my first try. I didn't get in 'til year two of applying. One girl I know tried for six years before making it. It sucks but the only thing you can do about it is keep going.

Oh and interview early. Schools say it doesn't matter I can say that I undoubtedly screwed myself by taking a later interview date.

Anonymous said...

Second reviews are a good sign. You're not out yet...
And Nathan, I keep all my rejection letters too. All 10 of them...

athena09

Grumpy, M.D. said...

I got rejected at most places, too. But all it takes is one.