Sunday, November 8, 2009

A New Method to Getting What You Want

I shit you not, there is no exaggeration in this story what-so-ever. This was an actual conversation that I was blessed with this past Friday.

Lawyer: Hi my name is Jack Meoff and I'm calling from the law firm of Larry, Moe and Curly about a client of ours

Me: Ok what can I do for you

Lawyer: Well our client is stating that you are illegally preventing him from obtaining the medication that was prescribed for him. As such we are looking into the legal ramifications of your actions

Me: Ok... What's the patient's name?

He gives me the name and I look up his profile and see the problem

Me: I'm assuming he is talking about the Claritin-D correct?

Lawyer: That is correct

Me: Well let me fill you in on the story a bit more than you are probably aware of. The patient came into our store at 10am this past Wednesday drunk. Yes, he was drunk at 10am on a Wednesday. (Mad props for this) He brought in this prescription and demanded we fill it under his insurance

Lawyer: Ok...

Me: First off, Claritin-D is an over the counter item. His Medicare Part D coverage does not cover OTC items. He has secondary coverage through the state which covers most OTC items. The problem with this prescription is that he was insisting on getting the name brand Claritin-D rather than the generic

Lawyer: So why didn't you give it to him?

Me: We would dispense to him, but he would have to pay the cash price.

Lawyer: I see... so if we got a court order, could you bill it under his insurance?

*** This is the point where I bash my head on the counter seventeen to eighteen times ***

Me: Well if you wanted to stand up to one of the largest insurers in the country, I won't stop you. I can tell you that it most likely won't get you anywhere.

Lawyer: I see... well I'll talk to my client and get back to you.

*** Click ***

My. Fucking. God.

One can infer that the patient called his lawyer right after leaving our pharmacy... you know, when he was drunk at mid-morning. And yet the lawyer decided to stiff hand us into complying.

I have seen and heard a lot of strange things over the years, but this one is definitely in the top ten now.

5 comments:

Grumpy, M.D. said...

I can't believe a law firm actually thought this case was worth enough money to look into it.

Frantic Pharmacist said...

Now I've heard everything!! I would have laughed hysterically at the 'court order' part!
Obviously one of those TV commercial law firms that say "You pay nothing unless we win!" I'm guessing the guy didn't have to give them a big fat retainer.

NorCal CphT said...

Are you sure it was really a lawyer? I mean, c'mon...

Phathead said...

NorCal - The callerID came from a local lawfirm, so it was at least someone who worked in a law office

TiredRPh said...

Years ago, I worked at a pharmacy in an affluent area. As such, we would get the occasional celebrity coming in for a prescription. One such person was a VERY famous lead singer of a 70s/80s rock band. The singer wasn't there, just someone to pick it up. No insurance, inexpensive rx (<$20). Months later we get a letter from this person's attorney who was going to sue us for not billing his/her insurance. I wrote up a response that we were NEVER presented an insurance card or asked to bill any insurance. We never heard another word. But honestly, this person has millions of dollars. Give me a break.