Monday, September 14, 2009

The Montgomery Scott Method

I'll let you in on a little secret that I employ to make myself look even more fantastic than I actually am. It's a trick I learned many years ago and I use it on an almost daily basis.

I call it the Montgomery Scott Method.

Us nerds know that Montgomery Scott, better known as Scotty, was nicknamed the Miracle Worker on Star Trek. During a cameo on Star Trek: TNG, he explained to someone else how he earned that moniker. His explanation?

If someone asks you do to something, and asks them how long it takes, you never tell them how long it'll really take. If it takes 2 hours say it'll take 3 hours. That way when you get done early, everyone is impressed. If it takes you longer than you thought, you have that extra hour to work with. In either case you'll be looked at as a Miracle Worker.


That really sums it up. When people bring in an Rx and say they're gonna wait and ask how long it'll take I'll tell them 15-20 minutes even though I know it'll take less than five. That way when I bring them their fresh Rx after five minutes they are impressed with how quickly I was able to complete it for them.

I've also used this on projects many many times. One of my old managers thought I was practically a god for how 'quickly' I could get things done.

Is it dishonest? In a small way, yes, but I see no harm in it. Just a little self promotion right?

7 comments:

John Woolman said...

It's a variant of Pascal's bet - well known to physicians... In it's original form, one might as well believe in God because if She doesn't exist you have nothing to lose, If She does you have everything to gain. (The logical fallacy is, of course, God may have a sense of humour of the sort that one might assume She has from the contemlation of rest of creation - if you believe you will fry in hell for eternity).

The physician's version of pascals's bet is sometimes known as "drawing the shades". "I'm sorry Mrs Ecks, this is a hopelss case". If Mr Ecks survives what a wonderful doctor he had. if he dies, well he did warn you....

Anonymous said...

I would suggest occasionally make them wait the full time or almost the full time. Otherwise they get used to it being done in five minutes and complain when it takes 20.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

To be technical, Phathead, I think this was first mentioned in "The Wrath of Khan".

Anonymous said...

I hate it when people EXPECT it to be done in 5 minutes when you have told them 15 minutes, so I am always careful not to do it too quickly to the grotty customers, obviously if i can get the nice ones done up fast thats brilliant.

Phathead said...

Ya know what Grumpy, I do believe you're right... I haven't seen Kahn in years

Pharmgirl said...

I learned everything I need to know about life from Scotty. :)

EC said...

I'm guilty of doing this.. quite often actually. :-)