Sunday, September 27, 2009

How Often Does This Happen Elsewhere?

I've explained several times how shitty of an outfit I work for. I'd like to think there are not many other pharmacies that are as unethical and obtuse to patient care as we are.

Here are two examples from this past week alone.

First, I discovered a patient had been given a 90 day supply of Simvastatin 80mg instead of her usual 30 day supply of Simvastatin 20mg. The pharmacist on duty simply put the wrong bottle in the wrong bag. The patient is about 93 years old and really didn't put two and two together. I figured it out when she called in that particular refill number on the incorrect bottle. She also mentioned she started having random muscle pain in the last month. Oh joy.

Second, a patient came in asking if we could verify the dose on her husband's Vitamin D prescription. I looked it up and it was indeed filled wrong. The prescription was written for 1,000 IU per day. Someone had filled it for 50,000 IU per day. The patient had been taking those dose for six months. Lovely.

Now does this happen elsewhere? Seems as if this kind of thing happens on a semi-regular basis around here, moreso in the last few months, and the pharmacists are rather apathetic about it.

Or am I just being overly cautious because it seems to me that there is something massively wrong with both our pharmacists and the way we fill things here. I can't wait to get the hell outta here.

2 comments:

Frantic Pharmacist said...

We had the same situation with the Vitamin D 50,000 units at one of the stores I work at. It still happens, even with all the error-proofing fail-safes we supposedly put in. We're all human, but it irritates the crap out of me when I know the person was just lazy or too distracted (especially by constant, annoying chatter) to care. And especially when these mistakes get past the quality assurance or second check. Of course sometimes you've got the same person doing the second check as the first one, and that doesn't help.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Honest human errors always will happen, but laziness is never excusable.