Friday, July 10, 2009

The Rain Man Nursing School

I swear to God, without nurses I would have nothing to write about lately.

One of our more... intellectually challenged nurses whom is in charge of the meds at a local group home called us today. I affectionately call her Rain Man because I imagine that she is only one step away from mumbling "Blue light special" on a regular basis.

She states she will be sending over some new prescriptions for a patient and asks to keep an eye out for them. Nothing really out of the ordinary.

Until I actually receive the fax. Turns out she faxed them herself as they were handwritten scripts she had received from the patient's dentist. Naturally, in big bold letters were the words VOID and NULO (I get a kick out of the addition of NULO in the last year) across the faxed copies.

And of course one of them has to be a Schedule III.

I call her back and tell her that she cannot just fax prescriptions like this and she will have to have someone bring them down. I then have to to explain the various safety features that have been implemented on pad prescriptions for the last three years.

She responded with a doozy of a question that quite literally left me with a stupefied facial expression.

"Well if you don't take fax prescriptions, how else do you fill them for patients who come in?"


**Crickets chirping**


See even after I explained to her that you can call in some prescriptions from the doctors office. Sometimes, and this may sound shocking, but people actually bring us the prescription to fill.

Honestly she seemed a little taken aback by these notions. Alas I was taken aback by the fact that she is lacking even a squeaky wheel in her nurse's brain of hers.

And some of you ask why I bitch so much about nurses...

3 comments:

Frantic Pharmacist said...

The people calling in prescriptions from group homes, nursing homes and other long-term care facilities are (usually) absolutely frightening. It's very worrisome, to say the least, since we may all end up there.

Anonymous said...

I'd rather have those type nurses there- than say taking care of newborns, and least at those places your on your way out

Grumpy, M.D. said...

That's scary.

"Most people don't fax scripts. They send them by magic."