Saturday, July 4, 2009

Losing Yet Another Idol


I'm not one to generally get wrapped up in the happenings of celebrities. Thus it did not really phase me when Michael Jackson or Farrah Fawcett died. I paid more attention to Billy May's death simply because I found him entertaining and I had studied him in two different classes this past semester. He really was one helluva guy.

Today is slightly different. See I am a rather huge Tennessee Titans fan. Actually I am probably the only Titans fan in this area because I do not live in Tennessee.

I'll never forget witnessing the Music City Miracle after being jabbed by my friends on how they just lost.

I can still visualize Kevin Dyson come to rest just a yard away from the endzone in Super Bowl XXXIV. At that point in my life I'd never been so devastated by a sporting event.

Naturally when I had ESPN on earlier and they broke programming to announce Steve McNair had been murdered I was more than a little shocked.

This was a guy I idolized, someone whom I thought was literally indestructible. Ironically he is the second person whom I have thought was indestructible who has died tragically.

Just kinda bums me out ya know? During his 2003 MVP season the guy played an entire season without practicing during the week because he hurt so damned bad. He was of the mantra that when you focused on something you block out all other difficulties in order to accomplish that goal. And that is something I greatly appreciate in life.

So yet another life is cut tragically short. Seems to be the theme the past few weeks. I thought deaths were supposed to come in threes?

Rest In Peace Steve McNair. You kicked some major ass while you were with us.

No comments: