Sunday, October 26, 2008

Don't Mess With My Mountain Dew

I've mentioned before I'm a Mountain Dew fiend. I have postulated that there is nicotine or some other addictive chemical in it which causes me to crave it. Even though I have switched mainly to Diet Dew (getting older means eating healthier) it is still my biggest vice.

I am also a logo fiend. I was originally going to go to school for graphic design, until I realized how over saturated that market is, and have developed an admiration for logos. One of my favorite blogs, listed above, is Uni Watch simply because the site analyzes logos and colors on sports teams. It's also a part of the reason I love NASCAR so much. Over the years I have developed a sort of understanding in the design and use of logos. Additionally I understand name and product branding in a market. Hell I notice tiny little changes on drug bottles (I hated when Femara switched their logo).

Now these two worlds have combined and I am severely pissed off. Not only have they taken one of the coolest looking, and most fitting logo for it's clientele, and changed it into something you would find on an AARP card, but they have also changed the name of the product.

Mtn Dew? Are you fucking kidding me?

And I won't even get into the new Pepsi logo....er logos and how they make literally no sense. Plus changing one of the most famous logos in the world just seems like a bad idea. I shall say a prayer today that PepsiCo will not fuck up my beloved addiction. If they do I may just have to switch to Vault.... uck.

Links to the new PepsiCo logos:
Bottles
Logos

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just hope that, with the Internet affecting its profits so much, that the U.S. Postal Service doesn't change its logo from an eagle to a buzzard!

EC said...

That's crazy! I don't like change and I really don't like the new logo. I may have to rebel and drink Mello Yello. This calls for drastic measures.