Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hooked on Phonics for Prescribing

Little verbiage from me today other than a collection of some prescriptions I have seen come my way over the past two weeks.

I thought being in a much bigger city would provide at least slightly better prescription writing skills.

I was wrong.
Avelox 40mg/0.4mL
#5
Inject Daily For Five Days
Vytorin 10/40mg
#6
Take 1 tablets as needed prior to sexual intercourse

Lisinopril 20mg
#30
Take 1 tablet. Inject in right eye four times daily for diarrhea
Oxycontin 80mg
#120
Take 1 tablet by mouth four times daily
Refills: PRN

Somewhere, some place, Grumpy is rolling around in his office...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please, Phat... PLEASE tell me the first three were eScripts.

(The lattermost doesn't surprise me at all; one MD around here marks 3 refills on literally everything, C-IIs included)

Grumpy, M.D. said...

I wrote all of those, just to give you material.

Love the Vytorin one. Either dropping cholesterol prior to sex improves performance OR they have the wrong V-word.

Mike said...

The first one's actually plausible. Avelox can be dosed intravenously. :)

Phathead said...

The last two were e-Rxs, the first one was a good ole handwritten script

@Mike -

Avelox isn't available in that dose and I've never seen a script come across it for retail administration... well at least one that was supposed to be filled that way lol

David said...

They have them Avelox, in that dosage at the hospitals...

The Ole' Apothecary said...

OH, shit---there's more to lisinopril than meets the eye!

Phathead said...

@David - I thought Avelox IV was only available in 250 mL pre-mixed bags

Anonymous said...

How 'bout this:
fosamax #30
1 po qd weekly

Sara said...

best one isn't an e-rx.. it's from a dr that should have retired 10 years ago the old fart... since this patient doesn't want "oxycodone"..

he wrote for..


wait for it...........




oxycotton. (not to be confused with "oxycodont")


I still crack up 5 days later.