Thursday, September 16, 2010

Don't Tell Me I Can't Do Something

If you really want to light a fire under my ass, try telling me I can't do something. For whatever reason, when someone states that I will be unable to accomplish something, it ignites this insane desire to not only succeed, but to do so at an astronomical level.

When I first started in pharmacy, back when I was a wee 15 year old, someone told me that there was no way I would last long as an employee. After that, I strove to disprove that and ultimately worked for that pharmacy for eight years, including a consultation gig, and it is part of what drove me to pharmacy.

When I made the decision to continue on to pharmacy despite my lowly GPA, several people told me it was a fruitless cause. Needless to say, it was a great thrill when I ran into one of them recently when I was able to tell them that not only was I accepted at one school, but I was accepted at four.

Normally I am not overly competitive. Most of the time I think excessive competition is fruitless for all parties involved. Yet, I make an exception in these cases.

What brings this up? I've had a couple of people tell me that there is no way I will be able to succeed in pharmacy school seeing as I need to work many more hours than a normal pharmacy student and raise a family well doing so.

Oh it's on now.

I may have said I'm not shooting for Rho Chi, or anything of that nature, but I'm sure as hell not going to roll over these next four years. My goal is to be able to bitch slap these people during my graduation with all that I have accomplished.

And it shall be glorious.

6 comments:

Grumpy, M.D. said...

And you will.

Brian said...

You can't wire me $1000

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Sure, Brian. Now Phat's going to spend his rent money on lottery tickets just to prove you wrong.

Unchained Pharmacist said...

If you can finish the prereqs and apply and be accepted to pharm shcool while working and raising a family, pharm school itself is nothing. See you on the other side.

Anonymous said...

lol same thing happen to me - a guidance counselor told me my GPA was to low to get into pharmacy school. Yet, I got in. Then they told me I shouldn't work while school. But I had to work 3 sometimes 4 different jobs (about 34 hours a week during the school year - 70 hours a week during the summer). I didn't shoot for Rho Chi but I did better in pharmacy school than any year in undergrad, plus I got a few papers published because of the work that I did during school. Which help me get the job I wanted once a graduated this pass May. You'll do great!

Anonymous said...

My counselor at pharmacy school told me the same thing when I went for orientation - I had two kids, commuted to school and had to work to make ends meet. He actually tried to convince me to quit. I took great pleasure on graduation day (cum laude, even) reminding him of his words. Go kick some butt, buddy.