Friday, June 26, 2009

Some Daily Musings...


Was reading about the first new CNS analgesic, tapentadol, during a short break yesterday. I also happened to notice that they are calling the drug Nucynta.

Really?

Does this come from Larry, Curly and Moe Pharmaceuticals? Seems like they could have picked a better name. Plus when you're on the street buying this shit, you're gonna sound like a sissy.

"Yeah man... you got any nuc on you?"

*********

Gentleman came in to our store today for the first time. While taking his information, he handed me his insurance card. Nothing out of the ordinary... until I went to input it in the system. His ID number was 18 characters long. Three letters and 15 numbers.

Let's do a little math here, there's roughly 6 billion people in the world, or 6 x 10^9. Using the possible combinations on that card ID, there are a total (mind you this is quick) 1.00 x 10^15 different combinations possible.

Or roughly 166,667 ID numbers for each person on the planet. Little over kill don't ya think?

*********

I have decided that we are trying to make Americans fat. I was strolling through our food aisles, looking for something to munch on, when I eyed the Pringles. Since I was drooling I moseyed on over there. I then went to grab one of the snack cans and stopped.

They seemed... larger. Puzzled I retreated to the pharmacy bunker and, because I am a loser, checked out an old snack can we use to hold zip ties. Sure enough, the snack can size had doubled recently. I later snapped this picture at a different store as confirmation.



Do we really need our 'snack sizes' doubled? I mean I was quite content with just one of those little cans. I don't want double that amount. And you know that if I were to purchase that, and open it, most likely I would eat the entire thing.

Just seems kinda asinine don't ya think?

4 comments:

kath8562 said...

"Like other drugs with mu-opioid agonist activity" --yeah, that would be what? Tramadol, which is a class 6, non-controlled drug, right? This new version is a class 2 narcotic.....humm, think tramadol been mis-classed for a while.....

Phathead said...

The irony of this is that Tramadol should be at least a C-V if anything. So should Soma.

The funny thing is, Nucynta shouldn't really be a C-II. From what I have read about it, it doesn't make sense for it to be a C-II. C-III, sure, but I really don't get its classification.

Pharmacy School Admission Database said...

It's America. More is always better... sadly at the expense of our country's health

Grumpy, M.D. said...

i have no idea where they come up with these names. Some make sense, but most sound like they gave a scrabble set to a room full of chimpanzees.