Thursday, June 4, 2009

MENSA? What's MENSA?

You ever have one of those days? Where every single person who walks through the door appears to have eaten paint chips as a kid? As of they are attempting to prove Darwin wrong in that evolution is not possible?

Case in point;

Patient #1 calls in asking about the status of her faxed refill. I mention that we haven't heard back yet. She then goes, but I only have eight tablets left and I'll be out for tomorrow! Looking down I see the directions state 1 Tablet Twice Daily. Ok.....


Patient #2 comes in asking if her insurance is active yet (of course its a Medicaid patient). I check and say no. She then goes, verbatim, "Can't you like... just give it to me and stuff? And then like maybe like have my insurance pay for it later?

When I mention we need to ensure we're going to get paid for the med, she looked at me in the eyes (well her's were a bit on the glazed side) and asked, "Ohhhhh....Why?"


Patient #3 starts screaming that we didn't fill his insulin like he asked and we are trying to kill him. I asked him when he called it and he replied last night. Realizing I talked to him, I reply back "Last night you only asked if we carried Speghettios...."


Patient #4 calls in, "Yea I need to check on my script before you close in a bit here." Puzzled I ask back "You do realize we close at 7pm and it is currently a quarter after 1..."


I shit you not, this has all occurred within the last two hours of work. I feel for humanity. I really, truly do.

Plus our clerk reeks of booze. Not like booze from last night, but more like "I drank a fifth of whiskey before work and this gum will cover it up" smell.

I love my job.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gave up trying to get them to understand. I find that I'm only repeating myself over and over - month after month. Today was one heck of a wild day, I tell ya.

1. She walks up to the counter and begins with, "I have a situation and I'm hoping there's something you can do." I ask her to hold on as I continue to open the pharmacy window... She continues, "I'm from out of town and I have a prescription from X Pharmacy in X state. I'm out of pills. They're closed. Oh, and I can't find that darn pill bottle. It's Mobic - since that's not a narcotic, I can just purchase it from you right?" I told her she needed a prescription. "Well, the doctor's office is closed! I NEED it! I don't understand WHY I can't just buy some!" She storms off muttering words under her breath.

2. "Why isn't my prescription ready! I phoned it in and received a call from the machine saying it was ready!!" I asked what the 'machine' said. "I don't know! I just saw the caller ID. Why else would ya'll call?" ...Hmm..I don't know-maybe to inform you of a delay?

3. Patient hands me a prescription for a discontinued drug. It's Friday evening. I offer to call the doctor in the morning and she responds with: Well, but I need it now! I inform her again that's it's discontinued and our hands are tied until we receive an authorized change which I will call on in the morning. "But I need it now! Can't you just give it to me?? Go give it to me! I will wait right here" ...I give up..

ÅŽG€£ ©. said...

Hey mr pharmacist, I am interested in going to school to become a pharmacist. is there anyway you could email me because I have a bunch of questions I hope you can answer. awesome blog by the way! I am definitely going to be listing it on my blog.

comment on my blog with your email address. No one will see it because I have a blocker thingie on my blog that requires me to accept and not accept differnt comments, you get me? lol.

hope to hear from you soon,
angel

Pharm Applicant Database said...

If that all occurred at your pharmacy within two hours, I wonder how much more idiocy goes on throughout a day or a week!