Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Sign of the Downfall of our Society

I was flipping through the channels this afternoon looking for something to watch before the NASCAR race came on. I stumbled upon the name of a show on TLC which caused me to do a double take. The name?

I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant

Ladies and gentleman, let me present to you another sign that our society is going down the proverbial shitter. Even more depressing is that this is an actual series on the channel. Yes, there are enough dumbasses out there for a series to exist.

From the TLC website:

I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant is a compelling series that explores the fascinating and utterly surprising phenomenon of women who were completely unaware that they were pregnant...until they went into labor!

From the bathroom floor to a North Woods cabin or from a bridal shower turned baby shower, I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant will take you into the intense and potentially life-threatening true stories of surprise births. Through reenactments backed up with patient and expert interviews that help shed light on this unique phenomenon, the program will address the many dangers that can be present for both mom and baby. From women who had no pre-natal care and smoked cigarettes, to those who rode bikes in dangerous terrain, they all have one thing in common—sudden labor pains and a baby! One woman even gets the surprise of her life when she unknowingly gives birth to twins!


The one I watched involved a 29 year old woman working at a fast food restaurant, shocker, who was already the mother of 3 kids, another shocker. She started bleeding during her shift and thought she was getting her period until she noticed the head of her crotch fruit sticking out of her fun hole.

Now all the people that are interviewing that were there for this 'experience' are smiling and giggling as if it was some cute little story. No this is not cute, this is fucking pathetic.

She 'thought' she had been getting her period for 8 months for one. Seriously, I'm not female, but how do you 'think' you've been getting your period for 8 months. Obviously it would have been irregular enough to notice. Plus, you've already fucking had 3 kids. Wouldn't you think something may be up despite the whole 2 pregnancy tests you took came back negative.

Oh, but it gets better.

She does give birth in the bathroom of her work... while standing above the toilet. Naturally, the baby went head first into the toilet bowl. Then the 911 dispatcher, whom they were on the phone with during the ordeal, had to actually tell them to take the baby out of the bowl.

Here's the thing, the baby is pretty much waving to you as it's coming out. You know by now you're giving birth. Why the hell are you standing above a toilet? Are you that fucking stupid? And I understand shock becomes a factor, but wouldn't you want to immediately remove a newborn from the shitter it just fell in? Jesus Christ....

And again everyone is still smiling and giggling.. oblivious to the fact that there is nothing cute and funny about the situation. You are a dumbass and should have your uterus removed.

I knew TLC had little class judging by the crap they put on that channel now. But honestly, this is a new low.

6 comments:

Lovely, CPhT said...

What I would like to know is how would you not know you were pregnant? I could understand the first month or so but eventually the baby starts moving! That girl sounds like a real winner. I hope someone in Child Protective Services sees that show and takes her baby away!

EC said...

oh my gawd!!!

Perceval said...

Well, it is possible, if you are very big already, or barely show, if you have highly irregular periods, or if you had a series of very weak periods, to miss signs of pregnancy. It is extremely rare, but given the size of the US population, there'll be plenty of cases for a series. Not to mention breastfeeding - quite a few women conceive again before their period comes back

Anonymous said...

That's just sad.

Phathead said...

Perceval - The chicks shown in the program, at least on the episode I watched were on the thin side, about 160 lbs or so. They certainly were not any Shamus, so they couldn't use that excuse.

ladyalice said...

I don't usually comment on the blogs I read, but this one left me so gasping with anger that I really had no choice.
You see, I am one of those "fucking stupid" women who had a baby without knowing she was pregnant. One night I had terrible stomach cramps, so bad that my mum called an ambulance; minutes after I was carried into it, I felt "something come out." It was a baby.
I honestly had no idea that I was pregnant. Because I was on the Pill, I'd had regular periods and because I was working all the hours that God sent and living off junk food, weight gain and abdominal discomfort (which I now know, of course, to have been the baby kicking) were par for the course.
I felt like a prize fool. But that's not what makes me so angry with your post. It's your assertion that a woman who is surprised like this, is "fucking pathetic."
For your information, that unexpected baby is now a beautiful, confident, intelligent 11-year-old. I have overcome the difficulties imposed by her unexpected arrival and forged a successful career.
I can only hope that, if you are serious about your future in pharmacy, you can develop a little more sympathy for your fellow man. I may well be a dumbass and maybe I should have my uterus removed, but according to my many loyal customers, I am a damn fine pharmacist.