Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My Genius Co-Workers

I have mentioned many times previously that the quality of help at the pharmacy I work out is going down faster than Paris Hilton on some rich dude. It's really rather spectacular. I have decided that none of our clerks have finished high school. Well except for the one that is currently in high school.

And that's where my story begins. See she is the daughter of one of our other 'clerks'. From what I guess she's either 16 or 17 and this is her first job. I've seen her literally sitting on the floor screaming at her mother because she wouldn't let her go to a party. Naturally our manager decided she would be an ideal employee.

I have no problem with people starting out their working careers with us. Personally I find it kinda fun as I really enjoy teaching people. Normally they start at the front counter where their biggest concern is making sure they card people who purchase cigarettes.

My manager, in a marvelous move, decided it would be best to start her immediately at the pharmacy register. It's a clusterfuck on steroids.

I've gotten to the point at my job where I don't give a rat's ass about the company. If it went belly up tomorrow, I would throw a party and dance on it's grave. I do, however, still care about the customers and serve them to the best of my abilities. But it is so goddamn fun to watch this clerk try and help them.

My prime example, and my new favorite example of this company's ineptitude, occurred just the other night.

She attempted to run an insurance card through the credit card machine... for five minutes.

Never mind the fact it is clearly just a piece of laminated paper and not made of the plastic credit cards are made of. Never mind the fact that there existed no Visa/Mastercard/Discover logo on it. Never mind the fact it did not contain a magnetic strip on the back.

It was decided by this clerk that it was obviously some form of payment and must be used in the credit card machine.

Ho...ly.... Shit.

I have seen some idiotic things at work, but the vast majority of the time it comes from the customers. When I kindly pointed out that it was an insurance card, I of course also had to explain that it is not the same as a credit card.

To complete this idiotic trifecta she then asked "So does that mean he has to pay for it?"

She's being stumbling through this job long enough to know that when it says there is a price on the Rx, that means they have to pay it. Obviously this was not computing in, what some would call, her brain.

I really, really love my job.

3 comments:

Ron said...

ROTFLMAO Idiot!!

Frantic Pharmacist said...

Our front-line clerks know next to nothing about prescriptions, insurance, OTC's, and many are just kids. Yet they are often the face of the pharmacy. The technicians want nothing to do with the customers if there's a clerk available. There are some clerks I feel sorry for because they totally get dumped on, but of course there are others who bring it on themselves...

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Good heavens.

One of my pateints today, who's in her 40's, was telling me about her cruise to New Mexico.

I said "you must mean Mexico" and she said "Well, they're the same place".