Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Curse of Pharmacy

About a year ago an eager new tech started his first pharmacy job. And by eager I mean if there was a hole in the wall in the back of the pharmacy he would be all over it. Hell we shoulda sent the kid out on deliveries, the old ladies woulda loved him.

One of his very first questions to me was, "Do you get to meet any hot chicks that come in?"

This is a somewhat logical question, but I responded with a truth that most likely changed his life forever.

"Sure you'll meet some of the most beautiful people you'll ever see while working in a pharmacy. But you have to remember, they're in a pharmacy for a reason. They'll be picking up some Acyclovir for their genital herpes. Maybe some clotrimazole for the fungus in her fun zone. Maybe she's picking up ADHD meds for her six kids from six different daddies. Hell maybe it's all three.

The thing is, you may hook up with a chick and then go, man I'm glad I don't know what issues she has. Well here you do know what issues she has. Maybe she's schizophrenic. Maybe she's really a guy on hormone treatments. There's no reason a healthy, attractive individual should be in a pharmacy picking up prescriptions for themselves. Just something to remember."

He was slightly ashen faced once I explained that to him. He didn't stay with us long and I have seen found out that he is not quite as eager as he once was. He's also no longer looking at going into pharmacy. Oops

4 comments:

MrHunnybun said...

Awesome post and very true.

It's even worse for female pharmacists and techs. Us guys get yummy-mummys to ogle, but the only guys in the 20-30 range normally have serious issues.

I've lost count of the number of women I have like teh look of, only to lose interest when seeing their prescription. The biggest turn-off is nicotine-replacement patches as I hate smoking. My best ever was a woman who had Valtrex Tablets, Clotrimazole cream and Metronidazole tablets on the same prescription. Great looking girl but you'd need some extra-thick condoms if you ever got close :)


There is also the converse. We have a very shy patient who comes in all the time for post-coital contraception. You owuldn't think she had it in her, bur she does-regularly.

Frantic Pharmacist said...

Still, when a good looking guy comes up to the counter our young female techs/clerks definitely move just a little faster to wait on him -- issues be damned!

Anonymous said...

Well, Frantic, how often do we (young female techs that is) get to see a guy at the counter worth looking at twice (or from behind)? If I was into gray ear hair and pension checks, I'd be set, but since I'm not... :)

Honestly, though, I feel horrible for our "young buck" (to quote an old lady from today) techs. The things post-menopausal women will say about a guy of age with their grandkids are just wrong! Funny, but wrong.

Anonymous said...

Ahh...c'mon, the hypothetical hottie could be coming in to fill her birthcontrol.