Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Sign of Problem's in our Society

After reading TAP's post about being 14 and pregnant, see here, I happened upon a similar debate at work the next day. We had a 13 year old girl come into our store who was pregnant to get her prenatal vitamins. They were chewable prenatal vitamins.

Now TAP was stating that someone that young is not mature enough to even be able to care for a child. I further that by asking how can someone care for a child when they can't even be an adult and swallow a whole tablet? Where is the logic in that? It was this thought which lead to the debate at work on Monday...

Why the hell do they make chewable prenatal vitamins?

I mean honestly is there that large of a market for them? Now I understand that there are instances when people take prenatal vitamins when they are not actually pregnant, so one could assume that perhaps these chewable versions are intended for them. The problem with that is I can only think of a handful of times when I've seen just such a situation occur, so logic would suggest that these are designed for these preteen parents. One could also argue that it could be for some women who, for whatever reason, are unable to chew tablets. Again, this seems like a very odd circumstance to warrant production of these.

Someone, somewhere, decided that there was a market for this and that it this form would be produced. Perhaps its a sign that society is coddling these young mothers, that its somewhat acceptable for they to be pregnant. I will confess that I know that this was probably not the intention by the manufacturer, but it really does make you wonder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My issue is with chewable birth control...

Anonymous said...

I would have shook my head my head as well and equated "chewable" with pediatrics but once I got pregnant I understood. I had hyperemisis which meant I threw up everything in site much worse than 99% of pregnancies. I couldn't keep a pill down! I had a PICC line and also used the chewable prenatals so my baby could get what he needed. Those prenatal pills are brutal on your stomach.