Sunday, February 24, 2008

I'm Tired of Being Rushed

What the hell is it with people and thinking they need everything five minutes before they actually ask for it. Does anyone remember what the term patience means?

I had a woman today come in with a prescription for Amoxicillin for her 6 month old baby. She said she wanted it ASAP (which is bullshit for one because we do everything we can get to get things out in a timely matter). Ok fine, I'll do it quickly, no worries.

Then she sits there and taps her fingers on the counter. And then asks every 30-45 seconds how much longer it will be. And every time I tell her it will be just another couple minutes.

Here's my question, why the hell do people think they have to rush us? If her daughter was having surgery, would she be knocking on the operating door asking how much longer the surgery was going to take? I mean if we hurry up and then fuck up the prescription, we could very well end up hurting or even killing her daughter. And yet she insists on repeatedly asking us to 'Hurry up'.

When are people going to realize that just because we have a drive thru does not mean that we are like McDonald's. They have to realize that usually we're working with really really shitty information (i.e. fucked up insurance cards, doctors hand writting, unrealistic directions, etc). Most of the time we save other people's asses and yet do we get a thank you for that? Fuck no.

Next time someone is rushing me they're going to the end of the line. And even then I'm going to be as pokey as a 90 year old woman picking out a greeting card. I don't give a shit, I'm tired of it.

I have been thinking of going to her house and hounding her for the rest of the night. Ask her when dinner is done, when laundry is done, when the cleaning is done and just see if she cracks. Nah that would work, because then if she cracks we'd have to fill her meds for that too. Fuck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To patients like that impatient lady i finally just started saying, "If you want the correct medication to be filled, it is going to be x minutes maybe even longer." If they complain about me saying that I will usually offer for them to go elsewhere, we don't need patients like that in our store, and my boss has told me that he can't stand patients that want things yesterday. What really gets me is the people who need their meds now, but they've been holding the script for a week or instead of calling in their refills they just show up and want it now. A little planning would go a long way.