Thursday, December 17, 2009

Math is H-A-R-D

I really feel I need to propose a questions to those who have been teaching math for the last... oh forty years or so.

Are people really this dense when it comes to figure out basic math problems?

2+2 does not equal Jell-o

30 tablets, taken once a day, should last 30 days. Not 30 minutes.

If you're supposed to take 2mg of Amaryl every day, and we give you 2mg tablets, that does not mean you need to cut them in half every time. How in the hell you ever devised that method is very much beyond me.

Now I understand not everyone has access to a good education, but one should be able to count their own goddamn change. If I have one more person throw a bunch of coins on the counter and then stare at it for ten minutes as if they are trying to discover the ultimate meaning of life, I may whack them upside the head with a big ole bottle of Klor-Con.

Do I ask you to solve for a derivative or integral? Maybe ask what your standard deviation or variance is on your therapy compliance?

No I do not. I ask you how many days ago you took your last dose. When you go, today is Thursday, and I took the last dose Monday so.... six days ago, that should not be that hard. I'm positive a blind, drunk monkey with one arm could count to five with little difficulty.

And it's not even math lately, its using numbers in lexicon. I actually had someone say they had their med last filled on November 22th. Yes, you read that right, the twenty-tooth.

When you come into the store from now on, and notice the round spot on the wall devoid of paint, realize this is where I bash my head against the wall. Every freakin' day.

5 comments:

BigEvilRx said...

lmao. I just finished my calculus exam two days ago, and I was hoping not to run into anything related to it for a LONG time. Then I read your post and it makes me cringe.

It is true, not all are supplied with a decent education. The fundamentals should be easy to grasp though. Oh well.

Unknown said...

Twenty-tooth!! Priceless!!

Paul Trusten said...

It's at least a good thing that the U.S. invented decimal currency. Think of what today's life would be like with pounds, shillings, and pence!

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Sounds like your pharmacy and my office walls have a similar "spot" decor motif.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha.... twenty-tooth!