Sunday, December 6, 2009

How I Miss The Fun

One of the items people neglect to mention to you when you choose to go into a medical profession is the fact that you have no life. I realize if I do get into pharmacy school that it will only become worse, but at least you have a hundred others in a similar situation.

Friday night I went out with friends for bowling and drinks. I made my first venture to one of the most popular bars in the city even though I have been of age for more than three years now. That show's how often I go out.

And it was a damned good time. Probably the most fun I've had in months. The somewhat depressing part is the realization that that will most likely not happen again for quite some time.

I have become used to seeing my friends be able to do such things on a weekly basis. I have been lucky to enjoy this type of thing once a month. One of the perks of being pre-pharm with a full time job. And the fact I haven't had longer than a 3 week break from school in 2 1/2 years. And those breaks were filled with either PCAT or wedding stuff.

I think I'm gonna celebrate the hell out of my summer break this next year... just because I can.

4 comments:

Paul Trusten said...

By "no life" in this instance, I assume you mean during your pharmacy studies. That may be true. But, being a pharmacist is not like being a doctor. As a pharmacist, it is unlikely that you will have a job requiring you to be on call, at least nowadays. You will, however, end up "taking things home" mentally, and you will be devoted to your work to a greater extent than those outside of healthcare.

jess said...

"As a pharmacist, it is unlikely that you will have a job requiring you to be on call, at least nowadays."
If you are planning on going into retail, this is true. I have experience in hospital, nuclear, and long term care and I was expected to be on call for all these jobs. I'm currently the Director at a LTC pharmacy and I still have to be on call one week per month.

Anonymous said...

Well..I'm only in first year so I can only speak from such experience, but I still have time to go out every weekend, though generally keep it to either Friday or Saturday...not both. I guess it depends on how much you plan on working during school as well. Best to keep yourself well rounded or you'll go crazy :)

Pharmgirl said...

Having a life during pharmacy school is difficult - there were a lot of things I had to sacrifice in order to put PharmD in front of my name. But it gets better during rotations, and maybe even during residency (as you can see from my Midyear post, lol).

Hang in there, Phathead. Better days are coming.