Thursday, April 23, 2009

Another idiot medical 'professional'

I have been at work now for.... oh about 63 minutes to be exact. Already I have been dealing with a semi-retard NP.

Faxed off a refill request for a patient that had been on Metformin 750mg BID since the dawn of time. The response I got back?

Metformin 90mg TID

First off, I've never seen a Metformin TID dose. Everything we deal in is BID. Secondly, I've never seen a 90mg dose because they don't fucking make it. Finally the patient had been on 750mg BID dosing for at least seven years. If anything it probably needs to go up.

The sad thing is the NP keeps stating she wants the patient on 90mg TID. Even when I tell her the smallest tablet we can get is 500mg, she still wants 90mg. What. The. Fuck?

Anyone have any idea where the hell she pulled this dose out of?



Edit: I just got a script from another NP for Suprex. Suprex was taken off the market in 2003. Jesus...

5 comments:

Odublar said...

LMAO!

Anonymous said...

Suprax was brought back several months ago

Phathead said...

I've been through our six wholesalers and we can get a 200mg/5ml bottle. Every piece of literature we have states that it is unavailable for pharmacies. Now I'm just confused.

Anonymous said...

Suprax is available as 400mg tabs and as 100mg/5ml and 200mg/5ml suspensions...idk about the Metformin thing that lady is nuts!

Shalom said...

Lederle stopped making Suprax as soon as the US patent ran out. Lupin picked it up about a year later and brought it back. I've been dispensing quite a lot of it in the past couple years; the pediatricians around here (NJ) like to use it when cefdinir fails. Problem is it's so damn expensive, some of the insurances won't cover it w/o prior auth. A couple of weeks ago, the 100mg strength went on backorder, but it's back again. Not sure why it's still a single source product if it's off patent.

As to the metformin - who knows. I can't think offhand of any antidiabetic medication that comes in 90mg.