Saturday, January 8, 2011

Spooning

"How much is 5 grams on a teaspoon?"

That's not really the question was expecting when I answered the phone. Actually, I'm not sure if at any point you could expect that particular question.

The question arose from the fact that this woman had picked up a prescription for metronidazole vaginal gel the other day and had accidentally thrown out the applicators. Her logic was that, for whatever reason, a spoon would work just as well. She just didn't know how to measure out the five grams.

Now think about this for a moment. The woman has decided to shove a spoon up her yoo-hoo. With that sort of logic, I'd say it's a good bet it won't be a clean spoon either.

Needless to say the pharmacist and I were able to find extra applicators in the pharmacy, they do a lot of compounding at this store, and advised her to come in and pick them up for no charge.

Add that to yet another perplexing definition to spooning... albeit a far less fun one.

2 comments:

McFury CPhT said...

Seriously, this is why I hate (most) people. Any guesses as to what insurance/assistance is keeping her dumb ass alive?

ER Murse said...

Well, I have to hand it to you, you went above and beyond what I would have done. I would have just given her the answer she asked for, and suggested she wash the spoon before and after use. I actually started to calculate this mentally. It SHOULD be possible, since you know the base its compounded in. Actually a slightly heaped teaspoon should be close enough for 'government work'...