Thursday, January 20, 2011

Lost My Pharmacy Mojo

First, to those who have asked, the family is doing just fine. Lil man is starting to sleep progressively longer through the nights (yay) and so far school has gone forth without a hitch.

I have run into a somewhat disturbing situation in the last two weeks. Somewhere, some place, I have lost my pharmacy mojo.

The whole excitement about the field, the profession and the learning is gone. It's not that I dislike it or am uninterested, but that little flame has flickered out.

Oddly enough it has nothing to do with spending almost a decade in retail. Nor does it have anything to do with the actually school work involved. It's not even related to the being a new father. Namely it has resulted from some behind the door situations at school.

It has left a rather bitter taste in my mouth that makes me question the viability of the next three and a half years. Don't get me wrong, I have not changed my mind by any means, but my outlook has been drastically altered. To say it has sucked the joy out of what I want to do may be the understatement of this young year.

As such, this site may grow a bit stagnant for a while until I get my groove back. No, I will not divulge the specifics of the situation for numerous reasons, it's not that I want to keep things private but I decided professionally it is not wise to air your dirty laundry. Especially as I contemplate continuing anonymity here.

Therefore, if any asks I am alive and well, if not distant at the moment. I need to find that spark again in some place, I am just unsure as to where and when that will occur.

For those looking into the field, I will continue to field any and all questions. Everyone knows how to get a hold of me.

Peace out Pharm Friends.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time. I hope it all works out and that you find that spark again. Hang in there and feel free to vent on your blog, if you think you are able.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Hang in there, it will come back.

DisasterCh1ck said...

Phat,

I am sorry to hear that. I can tell you that I had a similar experience a couple of times while I was in pharmacy school back in the dark BSP days. For me, I had lost respect for a few of my professors...but I kept at it, and kept working at the pharmacy as an intern. I think it was the patients that kept me in the game...and I bet that will be the same for you.

You know your fans are here for you when you need them.

Anonymous said...

It happens to all of us! I've been in pharmacy for 16 years (mostly clinical/hospital) and it cycles up and down. Agree with the previous comment that the interactions with patients make the biggest impact when you are in a slump. Hang in there, it will get better!

pharmacy chick said...

Hang in there friend. we all walk thru the wilderness sometimes. wish you luck, stamina and a fresh love for your profession...soon!

rxcounter said...

I'm with Anon, eventually your little corner of the profession will be both challenge and reward enough, and school will just be that thing you had to do. I learned very little in the way of life/practice skills from my profs.

By the way, you're totally right about airing of laundry - if there's any question of whether it should be out there, don't put it out there. I learned the hard way.

Anonymous said...

It's all part of it. Setbacks reaffirm to what it is one is committed. And, the fact that no matter what anyone says...pharmacy is a profession, not a robotic set-up. Take care, and take the opportunity to develop family ties.

Anonymous said...

Everything will be fine and you will find your umph again. You've had a lot going on and maybe your brain is catching up on all of it. Lack of sleep doesn't help either. Stick with it, your the new generation of fantastic pharmacists.