Friday, August 21, 2009

Make Up Your Damned Mind

I have been, since about May, emailing the pharmacy schools I'm interested regarding my situation and seeing if I will encounter any problems. Basically I don't want to apply to a school if I don't meet the requirements or stand any chance. Seemed like the prudent thing to do in my case.

After a bunch of emailing, I had my four schools picked out.

Last week I emailed one of these schools asking for clarification on a portion of their supplemental application. I received my answer and then the advisor mentioned that I was no longer eligible to apply. They had 'tightened' up their requirements and I would be forced to apply next year. It had to do with ACPE standards.

Huh?

Couldn't they have told this to me when we were emailing each other a few weeks ago? Obviously someone would have known that this change was occurring. I had already sent out my PharmCAS application, so there goes a chunk of change there.

Then a few hours later I got another e-mail from this university, from the same guy, thanking me for applying and stating what else I needed to do. How cute.

So naturally I went into a bit of hysteria trying to find a school to replace it. I e-mailed another school in the general area with the same statements as before. Their reply?

"Well it appears that you may need to take a year of Post-Bac biology or chemistry to show that you are really determined to become a pharmacist because that appears to be lacking at the moment?

Huh?

I'm lacking the determination to become a pharmacist? I shoulda just sent them a damned link to this blog. Seeing as it was late at night, and I was at my wits end, I fired back a length e-mail questioning this person's statement.

By the next morning I received a reply from the dean of the school apologizing for the advisers statement and saying that "... given what you have stated in your e-mails you would be an excellent candidate for admission into our program."

Yeah... maybe not.

I have since added two schools to replace that one, but neither one were my first choices. At this point I can't afford to be too picky.

Oh well, it's Friday and you know what that means... it's Amber Bock time!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

If you don't mind me asking...what state are you applying in? It sounds like NO ONE knows what they are talking about!

Grumpy, M.D. said...

That's sad. So disorganized, and so much rides on them. It's obvious to me, and anyone else who reads this, that you are more than motivated, and qualiffied, to be an excellent pharmacist.

Good luck. It's been over 20 years since I applied to med school, but I still remember it clearly, and the tension wasn't fun.

Phathead said...

Unfamiliar, both schools were on the west coast, one of which is a very new school

Anonymous said...

Wow... was it the new school that changed their requirements? They're usually the hardest because their first class is the one that sets the standards and determines whether they get accredited or not.

And you'll get the run-around a lot from staff and office members. So good luck with that!

Phathead said...

No, it wasn't the new school that changed their requirements