Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Bunch of Hens

Ever heard that phrase before? Often in class there is a section of students whom are always talking. Always kissing up to the prof. Always being an annoyance to the class. To me, that is a bunch of hens. It annoys the hell out of me.

I switched from a science related major to a business major because, in the long run, I know it will suit me better. The problem with that notion is that I generally cannot stand the classmates in my major. The vast majority of the them, to me, are nothing more than a bunch of hens.

Do you know what it's like to sit in an upper level business course? Generally people talk all the time, interrupt the prof and ask so many questions that little progress is actually made. It is mindless, it is tedious and it drives me nuts. And these are the upper level courses.

I am used to science courses where the students pay attention and take notes. Yes there is random discussion and fun involved, but everyone is respectful and much is accomplished. That does not happen in my business courses. Do you know that in three years not once, not ONCE, have I been intellectually challenged? That used to happen weekly in microbiology, biochemistry and the likes. I'm not trying to brag about intelligence, I'm referring to how little is accomplished in these classes.

Earlier today, prior to my finance class, I was chatting with the person sitting next to me. I asked him what he was going to do after his B.S. (he is an accounting major) and he goes "I'm gonna make lots of money!" When he asked me and I responded he had a dumbfounded look on his face. "You mean you're going to go to school for at least another four years? Why?" I mentioned that I found it interesting and that it is my passion to which he responded "... but don't you want to make money now? I mean you'll be almost 30 by the time you're done!"

Perhaps that is my problem with the department. Everyone is so set on making money yesterday. I like learning, no scratch that, I love learning. I love having my mind challenged. And I am especially fond of learning about the human body and chemistry. And, on many levels, I really want to have an impact on my field. Sure I want to make money, but I want much more than that.

I'm not any older than most of my classmates, but I feel as if I'm on another level from them. It's awkward at times, especially when I see how much harder I am working for something while they coast their way to a C. I cannot comprehend living like that.

What sparked this? A post by the Old Md Girl discussing her age difference from her classmates.

I thoroughly look forward to the day when I can sit in class with my peers. Perhaps then I won't be so tempted to smack the hell outta all of them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Question, are you in a 4-Year? I understand what you mean by hens, instantly a few people popped in my head. I generally see that in the younger/just graduated group.

I am in that same area, I love learning about something. I like the stories within the facts. It amazes me as well that people would pay for schooling and only think about the mad money it will pay them. They really need to ask themselves "Am I going to go through hell to get that money?"

That's the great thing about pharmacy. You know it will be hell, and as long as you love it, your golden. The other day we had no problem customers (Full Moon), and it was glorious but I missed getting yelled at. Pharmacy is great.

The worst hens are the 'top-cluckers' who know-it-all and have a story for every situation. I want to say to them 'Just shut the fuck up, and let the teacher teach you.'

Phathead said...

Yea my 4 year degree is going to take about 5 1/2 due to the major switch

Anonymous said...

It's kind of funny. Seems like a lot of the students in my pharmacy program fall into the 'bunch of hens' category too. Sigh. Hopefully you can get away from it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah- sorry to the be bearer of bad news, but your pharmacy school classmates may not be any better. They still talk when the prof is talking. Of course, I think the profs bear some burden of cause as well - if I was the PharmD or PhD up there teaching, I'd be throwing people out of class. In my experience, it's typically a few repeat offenders over and over.

Of course, my issue could be somewhat of the age difference as well - I'm in a similar situation as Old Md Girl. I think I just plain appreciate school more because I had to make a very concious decision to go back.

Shalom said...

Aagh. Don't remind me.

I did my pre-pharmacy stuff in the early '90s as a chem major at CUNY/Brooklyn, which at that time had a really first class chemistry program. I also took macro- and micro-economics, as I wasn't yet sure which college of pharmacy I was headed for and some of them required economics credits.

Ghod in heaven. The economics professor couldn't control the class, but at a college level he shouldn't have had to. He would be pontificating down the front of the huge lecture hall in 148 New Ingersoll, and all around me people (won't call them "students") were holding their own little conversations. Not whispering, not even under their breath, but as loud as if they'd been in the cafeteria or the parking lot. Every ten minutes the prof would mumble "Um, could we have a little quiet here?", and it would be muted for a few seconds, and pick right back up again when he started lecturing again.

Then of course came the exams. All of a sudden I had twenty new found friends who loved me so much that they all wanted to surround me and cherish me with their loving vibes. Naturally I picked myself up after they all settled themselves and moved to the other side of the hall, just to see how many would follow. (Most of them, as it happened. No shame at all.) I got so p.o.'d at the blatant cheating that I started covering my answer sheet with a blank paper and writing under it so they couldn't see... and the guy right behind me had the chutzpah to offer me $20 to uncover the sheet. I told him where he could put the 20 and how he should fold it beforehand. He said "Can't you give me a break? I really need to pass this course!" I said "Well, you should have studied then." It got so bad that by the last exam I was writing my answers with Hebrew letters (aleph, beis, gimel and daled instead of A,B,C,D) and handing in a separate key with it.

It seems that Econ 10.1 is the first class the business majors would take first thing out of high school, and they thought they were still *in* high school. The idea was to pass the class, no matter how, and whether or not you knew the material was irrelevant. You wonder how many of those cheating wannabe MBAs in that room were responsible for the mess that Wall Street is in today... or how many of the corporate drones we all know and loathe were in that class.